The objectives of the Australasian Society of Forensic Document Examiners Incorporated (ASFDE Inc) are:
- to foster education;
- to encourage scientific research;
- to exchange experiences and
- to provide instruction
in the field of document examination and to promote justice in matters that involve questions about documents.
To support the objectives and purposes of the society, each member of the ASFDE Inc agrees to abide by the following code of ethics:
1. To apply accepted scientific principles and logic in the solution of all document problems and to follow the truth courageously.
2. To render an opinion or conclusion strictly in accordance with the physical evidence in the document, and only to the extent justified by the facts. To admit frankly that certain questions cannot be answered because of the nature of the problem, the lack of material, or insufficient opportunity for examination.
3. To express opinions in written reports in simple, precise and unambiguous terms and to use simple terms when presenting evidence.
4. To maintain objectivity at all times and not take examinations beyond the limits of one's expertise. If a particular investigation requires the use of a novel method, the status of that method should be identified and explained.
5. Where applicable, the physical results of tests, field notes, test notes, reports and photographs should be retained until at least the conclusion of any relevant legal proceedings, including any additional periods of appeal as determined by law.
6. To maintain confidentiality of information received and not make inappropriate disclosures.
7. Not to undertake examinations on a contingency basis.
8. To make technically correct and conservative statements in all written or oral reports, testimony, public addresses or publications, and to avoid misleading or inaccurate claims.
9. To act at all times (both in and out of court) in an absolutely impartial manner and to do nothing that would imply partisanship or any interest in the case except to prove the facts and prove them correctly consistent with membership of a skilled profession and to treat colleagues with due respect and avoid inappropriate criticism of them.
10. Where applicable, to abide by the Expert Evidence Rules Code of Conduct of the relevant jurisdiction.
11. To maintain a constant spirit of fairness, combined with high ethical, education and technical standards, thereby promoting justice and creating increased confidence in the profession of document examination; and by exemplary conduct and scientific thoroughness carry out the aims and ideals of this Society. It is the duty of each member to serve the purposes of the Society, to observe its by-laws, and to be governed by this Code of Ethics.
Any member who fails to comply with these provisions may face disciplinary procedures as defined in section 11 of the constitution of the ASFDE Inc.
Mr Leonard Timewell
Mr Barry Short
Mr Paul Westwood
Mr James Buglio
Mr David Chivers
Mr Mark Edwards
Mr Michael Talbot-Wilson
The purpose of founding the Society was to provide a forum for bona fide forensic document examiners to advance the study and application of the field; to facilitate co-operation among persons and organisations interested in forensic document examination; and to encourage knowledge within the field of forensic document examination through publications, meetings, conferences, research and education.
In 1993, the Society changed its name to the Australasian Society of Forensic Document Examiners.
In 2007, the Society was Incorporated in New South Wales as an Incorporated Association and has continued to be Incorporated having registered with the Australian Securities Investment Commission (ASIC) as a Registered Australian Body.
We have updated the Members' Section with presentations from this year's Scientific Meeting, held on 21 - 23 April 2015. Members will receive their personal login details in the near future.
All general correspondence associated with the ASFDE Inc should be directed through the secretary:
firstname.lastname@example.org or PO Box 6160, FRENCHS FOREST DF NSW 2086